May 15, 2009

Avenue of the Giants



Highway 101 north



Pacific Coast Highway near Bodega Bay











We enjoyed Sonoma Valley and Bodega Bay...you know the infamous Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds"...it was filmed in Bodega Bay although we didn't recognize many of the scenes as time has changed the place tremendously...we ate lunch at the diner that blew up although the actual blowing up was done on a back lot in Hollywood and the original diner is now the "Tides Wharf Restaurant"..LOL...sea lions were enjoying the sun and waiting for hand-outs under the pier...I tried to capture the array of colors in the ice plant that was blooming all along the Pacific Coast Highway...on the way back to Santa Rosa along Hwy 12 we stopped at a strawberry patch and bought a basket of fresh-picked strawberries...should have got more! We almost had them eaten by the time we got home! Yes, I called it 'home'...I'm working on it..:>)
Driving through Sonoma Valley was an awesome sight with all the wineries..and did I mention the winding roads? Bonine is my good friend..and no matter how hard I press my brakes or lean to the left it just doesn't make any difference in the driving...I know, I know... 'shut my eyes'....!
Continuing north on Hwy 101 we traveled through the "Avenue of the Giants" that was truly breath-taking. Apologies for the blurry photos but there was just no stopping to take photos! We are the ones everybody hates to get behind going through the mountains,,,you know 'those'....hanging in Eureka until tomorrow when we will once again head further north toward Port Orford, Oregon where we will be staying for a month.













No comments:

Post a Comment